Orchid Male Cancer Awareness Month 1-29 February 2016
This important campaign is an opportunity to raise awareness of male specific cancers – prostate, testicular and penile cancer – and to provide practical advice, support and information on the detection, diagnosis and treatment of these diseases. Throughout February a range of activities will be taking place. Highlights include:
- Myths and Misconceptions. Over 50,000 men in the UK will be diagnosed with a male specific cancer in the next 12 months. Despite advances in treatment and prognosis and increased awareness, there are still many misconceptions about these diseases. Wrong ideas about cancer can lead to needless worry and even hinder good prevention and treatment decisions. Our latest campaign “Myths and Misconceptions” will provide the latest evidence-based information about some common cancer myths and misconceptions.
- An independent survey has been commissioned to gain insight into general awareness of male specific cancers. The results of the survey will be launched throughout Awareness Month.
- Roadshows and health information events will be taking place across the UK.
- Raising Awareness. A new Male Cancer Awareness Month poster and resource pack have been designed for use in health centres, offices, schools, colleges, libraries, sports centres and shopping centres.
- Fundraising -Why not support Orchid and raise awareness of male specific cancers by taking on a new challenge, event or raising funds…..
– Take a leap to tackle male cancer – join a Skydive
– Organise a Dress Down Day at school
– Cake sale: bake 29 cakes to sell at work (with red ones for Valentine’s day)
– Commit to running the London Marathon
– Organise a Pub Quiz Night
– Cycle 29 miles in fancy dress and get sponsored to complete the ride!
– Organise an Awareness Stand at your office or sports club
– Become an Orchid Ambassador and help ensure that more people than ever before are aware of male cancer
– Auction of promises – auction off the skills/ things you have (i.e Babysitting, knitting, a ride on your motorbike, a stay in your holiday home etc)
– Organise an “Orchid Ball” sports day
– Raise £29, £290,or even £2,900 during the month of February
There are lots of great ideas on our website to get you started….and don’t forget to look out for our cheeky Valentine’s Day card and message!
Why not promote Male Cancer Awareness Month in your workplace, gym, students union, club or pub with our cheeky stickers……
Help raise awareness of male specific cancers
Support the Month by displaying Orchid Male Cancer Awareness Month posters and information. If you require any materials such as our free leaflets, Factsheets, resource packs, newsletters, stickers and display materials or want to run health information or Awareness events please contact our Orchid Male Cancer Information Nurse Specialists or Awareness Month Team on 0203-745-7310 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
‘The Meaning of Husbands’ book in support of Orchid
You can show your support for Orchid by buying the ‘The Meaning of Husbands’ book, a new addition to the popular ‘The Meaning of Everything’ series, which is being launched to co-inside with Male Cancer Awareness Month.
The Meaning of Husbands is for those who love the power of quotes and the humour they bring to daily life. The entertaining quotes and many valuable life lessons have been inspired by husbands (and wives) all over the world. The RRP is £6.95 and £1 from each sale goes straight to helping fight male cancers. The book makes the perfect gift, for any occasion. Be the change you want to see in the world.
Orchid is grateful to The Light Fund for their generous support for Orchid’s Male Cancer Awareness Month, which will help Orchid to ensure that men of all ages recognise the warning signs of male cancer, seek an early diagnosis and where appropriate have the best possible prognosis.