Our Charity of the Year partnership with ASDA Distribution raised over £1.2m to help fund world class research into testicular, prostate and penile cancer, provide support services including our Orchid Male Cancer Nurse Specialists and raise vital awareness of these cancers throughout the UK.
There were so many fantastic activities that took place during the four year partnership. A few highlights include:
- Raising £367,000 through two successful Rugby Sevens Gala dinner’s held in 2013 and 2015
- Fantastic fundraising activities organised by ASDA colleagues at Head Office, in stores and across the depots. From cake sales and family days to fantastic challenges on behalf of Orchid including the On Your Marks events and the Tour de ASDA cycling challenges.
- A testicular cancer awareness programme run in all 255 ASDA in-store pharmacies
- Vital awareness raised UK wide through donations from products sold in ASDA stores
The incredible support of Asda colleagues and their generosity during the partnership has made a difference to the lives of thousands of men affected by male cancer every year by enabling the charity to deliver the following activities:
- Launch of the Orchid National Male Cancer Helpline where Orchid Male Cancer Nurse Specialists have responded to 4,500 direct enquiries regarding male cancer
- Raised vital awareness across the UK of the signs and symptoms of testicular, prostate and penile cancer by distributing over 1 million items of Orchid information and literature
- Fund just under £500,000 worth of world-class research into testicular, prostate and penile cancer.
Rebecca Porta, Orchid CEO (pictured receiving a cheque from former ASDA CEO Andy Clarke) said of the partnership:
“We were overwhelmed by the generosity and dedication from ASDA colleagues who supported Orchid during the partnership and we are hugely grateful to Andy Clarke for championing the charity. There were so many fantastic events that happened along the way and I cannot thank ASDA colleagues enough for their passion and enthusiasm for fundraising. The money raised has made a real difference to the lives of thousands of men, and their families, who are diagnosed with a male specific cancer every year and who rely on our help“