Orchid Male Cancer Awareness Week 3-9 April 2017
Published: 14th March 2017
Orchid Male Cancer Awareness Week takes place from the 3-9 April 2017. This annual campaign, now in its ninth year is an opportunity to raise awareness of male specific cancers – prostate, testicular and penile cancer – and to provide practical advice, support and information on the detection, diagnosis and treatment of these diseases.
Our 2017 campaign will focus specifically on testicular cancer, risk factors and the common signs and symptoms. Over 2,300 men will be diagnosed with testicular cancer in the UK each year. That’s about 1 out of every 100 cancers (1%) diagnosed in men. However if caught at an early stage cure rates of approximately 98% are usually possible.
Throughout the Week a range of activities will be taking place
- Survey. What do people know about testicular cancer? Are self-checks important? Can self-checks become part of a regular routine? The results of our survey will be launched during Awareness Week.
- Health Information Events. Health information events are taking place across the UK. We will keep you updated via our website and social media. Remember to let us know if you are running an event!
- Roadshows. The Male Cancer Awareness Roadshow will take place in Hull at the Princes Quay Shopping Centre, Princes Dock Street, Kingston Upon Hull on the 6-7 April.
- Roadshows. The Male Cancer Awareness Roadshow will take place in Newham at the Queen’s Street Market on the 4 April.
- Roadshows. To mark the launch of the Week, the Male Cancer Awareness Roadshow will take place in Rochdale at the Rochdale Exchange Shopping Centre Newgate, Rochdale on the 30 March.
- Raising Awareness. A new Male Cancer Awareness Week poster and resource pack have been designed for use in health centres, offices, schools, colleges, libraries, sports centres and shopping centres.
- Fundraise and make a difference. Sign up to a Week (or month) of fundraising and show your support for Orchid Male Cancer Awareness Week. We have fundraising packs full of ideas, cheeky stickers and a few goodies to help you raise much needed funds. Or why not sign up to an event. We have lots of great events taking place in the coming months – there is something for everyone.
- The annual Orchid River Run takes place on the 5 April. Join the 5k, 10k or new half marathon route.
- Film Preview. To mark the end of the Week, the national premiere for “Hanging in There” takes place at the prestigious Soho Hotel in London on Monday 10 April. The film tells the story of Jack Jackson who is diagnosed with testicular cancer and begins a difficult journey to re-connection and wholeness. Based on a play by TC survivor Geoff Saunders and directed by Darren Scott, the film raises awareness of the issues around TC as well as raising money for Orchid.
Help raise awareness of male specific cancers
Support the Week by displaying our downloadable Orchid Awareness Poster 2017 poster. If you require any further materials such as our free leaflets, Factsheets, resource packs, newsletters and display materials or want to run health information events please contact the Orchid Male Cancer Awareness Team or the Events Team on 0203 745 7310 or email us at email@example.com.